Among the various types of vehicles on the road, trucks are the most dangerous. This is due to their immense size as well as it being a taxing job for truck drivers. When any driver operates a vehicle unsafely, it can cause an accident. When truck drivers are negligent, these accidents can be much more severe as a result of their size and weight. If you were injured in a truck accident, it is important to contact an experienced Philadelphia personal injury attorney to assist your case.
Common Types of Truck Accidents
There are different ways a truck accident may occur. This can be between two trucks, or between a truck and a passenger vehicle. The most common types of truck accidents are as follows:
- Head-on collisions: This is most often seen when a truck passes through an intersection illegally, leading it to crash into another vehicle that is also passing through.
- Jackknife accidents: These accidents usually occur when a truck’s trailer is swinging independently of the cab, causing both sections to move in different directions.
- Rollover crashes: This happens when a truck turns a corner too fast, forcing its weight to tip the vehicle over.
- Rear-end accidents: If the brakes are not used properly or at the right time, a truck can collide into the back of another vehicle.
- DUI accidents: It is illegal for anyone to operate a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Like all other drivers, truckers can cause serious accidents by driving under the influence.
Causes of Accidents
There are also different ways that a truck driver may cause an accident. This can include the following:
- Violating safety regulations of the road
- Reckless driving
- Poor visibility on the road
- Drowsy driving or driving longer than the allotted time by federal law
- Mechanical issues with the truck
Recovering Financial Compensation
When a person is involved in a truck accident and wants to recover compensation, they must first prove that the truck driver was negligent. This can be done by filing a personal injury claim. During this time, it is important to gather evidence that shows negligence. This can include medical records, a police report from the accident, pictures or video of the accident, any witness testimonies, and more. If successful, the injured victim may be eligible to recover compensation as coverage for any damages that stem from the accident.
Contact our Firm
If you or a loved one has been in a personal injury accident in Pennsylvania, it’s important that you contact an experienced Philadelphia personal injury attorney to help you with your case and to make sure that you are not taken advantage of. Contact Spear Greenfield to get the right attorney in your corner.