Why You Need Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage in Philadelphia

are you covered sign
November 6, 2018
Legally Reviewed By Attorney Rand Spear, Esq.

It’s well known that you must have auto insurance. In fact, it’s a requirement in every state. But how do you know if you need “full coverage,” or if less will do?

In Pennsylvania, when you purchase car insurance, the company may refer to your policy as “full coverage” when what you have really purchased is the minimum amount of coverage required to satisfy state law. The truth is, the minimum coverage that Pennsylvania law requires may leave you under-protected should you have a serious car accident.

If you are in an accident in which the other driver is at fault and is also uninsured or underinsured, you may have some legal options. That’s why it’s important to talk with an experienced car accident lawyer to determine how you should proceed.

Requirements for Auto Insurance According to Pennsylvania Law

In the state of Pennsylvania, car owners are required to carry at least $15,000 in liability insurance, which will pay for bodily injury caused to other drivers in the event of a car accident. This works as follows: if you are in an accident in which there are injuries, the insurance company will pay up to $15,000 per person, and $30,000 per accident. That means that the maximum payout cannot go over $30,000, no matter how many people are injured.

Pennsylvania motorists also have to carry property damage liability insurance. This type of insurance covers property damage for other drivers when you are at fault for the accident. Pennsylvania requires that drivers have at least $5,000 in coverage for property damage.

Personal injury protection (PIP) coverage is also required in Pennsylvania. It is the first policy that will be used to cover your medical expenses and any passengers injured in your car, regardless of who caused the accident. Minimum coverage for PIP in Pennsylvania is $5,000.

The above outlines the minimum requirements for auto insurance for drivers in Pennsylvania. If you purchase coverage in those amounts, then you are in compliance with state law, and you probably got a fairly good price on your policy. Why would you consider carrying more than the minimum required?

Why You Should Have Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

It only takes one accident to demonstrate why you need uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. Consider the following scenario: You are hit by someone who runs a red light at a high rate of speed. You sustain serious injuries that result in over a hundred thousand dollars in medical expenses. Unfortunately, the driver who hit you was only insured for the state minimum bodily injury coverage of $15,000. The amount that you will receive from the other driver’s insurance company will not even come close to covering your medical bills. If you don’t carry underinsured motorist insurance, you will find yourself in quite a financial bind.

However, if you do have underinsured motorist coverage, then you can bring a claim against your own insurance company to cover your medical bills and loss of income. In the same way, if you have uninsured motorist coverage and you are hit by someone without insurance, your insurance company will cover your damages. Keep in mind that while liability insurance is a requirement in every state, there are still people who drive without it. You don’t want to find yourself injured with no way to cover your medical bills or be compensated for your injuries.

A Philadelphia Car Accident Attorney Can Help

If you are a car owner in the state of Pennsylvania, it’s a good idea for you to add uninsured and underinsured coverage to your car insurance policy. It will give you peace of mind that if you are ever in a car accident, you will be able to take care of your medical bills without worry. If you are entitled to additional compensation from the other driver’s insurance company or the individual who was driving himself, then your attorney will help you navigate the legal aspects of your claim.

If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident in which the other driver didn’t carry enough insurance, Philadelphia car accident attorney, Rand Spear, has the experience and expertise to help you with your case. Contact his law office today for a free consultation and evaluation of your case.

Media Contact:

Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyer Rand Spear

(T): 215-985-2424


Prior results cannot and do not guarantee or predict a similar outcome with respect to any future case. Recoveries always depend upon the facts and circumstances of each case, the injuries suffered, damages incurred, and the responsibility of those involved. This article is not to be considered advise, only the execution of the contingency agreement with this law firm will constitute an attorney-client relationship. The contents of this article are for general information only. If you would like to pursue a claim, please contact an attorney immediately to discuss your specific facts and circumstances regarding your claim. Some cases accepted by this law firm may be referred to or worked on by other lawyers, depending on the area of practice and specifics of a particular case.