There are few things more dangerous than driving a vehicle while distracted. It is currently the number one cause of automobile accidents in the United States with fatalities due to these accidents rising into the thousands every year. It is because of this that it is crucial for all drivers to obey the rules of the road and give their undivided attention at all times while they are behind the wheel. When drivers fail to do so, the serious accidents they cause can be life-changing or ending for many. It is because of this that individuals who are injured in an accident due to distracted driving can pursue legal action to recover financial compensation for any damages. Those facing these situations should contact an experienced Pennsylvania personal injury attorney for assistance.
What should I do after a car accident?
After an accident happens, there are several things you should do to help your chances of winning a future claim. They are as follows:
- Call the police first. They will document the accident once they arrive in addition to sending an ambulance.
- Ask the other driver for their insurance information. Be polite but never apologize, even if it is just out of courtesy.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your car, the other driver’s car, and property.
- Ask witnesses to the accident for their contact information, such as business cards, phone numbers, emails, and more.
- Once treatment is received at a hospital, ask the doctor for all medical documentation pertaining to your injuries.
- Hire an experienced Pennsylvania personal injury attorney for help gathering additional evidence to satisfy the burden of proof.
How long do I have to sue after an accident?
In the state of Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years from the date of the accident. Simply put, the statute of limitations is a deadline in which the injured party must meet in order to pursue legal action and recover compensation. If they do not meet the deadline, they can lose their opportunity to do so.
Contact our Firm
If you or a loved one has been in a personal injury accident in Pennsylvania, it’s important that you contact an experienced Philadelphia personal injury attorney to help you with your case. Contact Spear Greenfield to get the right attorney in your corner.