Lyft & Uber Accident Lawyers Serving PA & NJ
Travel has revolutionized with the introduction of rideshare options, such as Uber and Lyft. These rideshares offer a more personal style of transportation as compared to public transit and a more comfortable journey versus traditional taxi cabs. However, this transportation evolution raises concerns, because you are relinquishing control and placing your safety into the hands of a rideshare driver. If an accident occurs, where does the responsibility fall, the rideshare driver or the transportation company?
These types of questions highlight the importance of considering legal options following an injury in an Uber or Lyft accident. The Spear Greenfield legal team will tackle any questions related to a rideshare accident, because the attorney team has over 200 years of combined experience representing personal injury clients. Ask for your free consultation online or via phone with a Spear Greenfield Uber and Lyft accident attorney today. We promise there’s no obligation, pressure, or hidden fees, just guidance.
Exploring Your Legal Options After an Uber or Lyft Accident
When an Uber or Lyft ride goes wrong because of driver negligence, accident victims have the right to seek legal action and compensation for their injuries. You have the option to file a claim against the driver and hold them responsible for their behavior. A skilled Pennsylvania or New Jersey ride-hailing accident attorney can help you navigate the legal process.
The Spear Greenfield law firm is composed of an experienced legal team, which will help secure you vital medical care and get the damages you deserve. Our Uber and Lyft accident lawyers have advised many victims through the filing process.
Benefits of Working With Lyft & Uber Accident Lawyers
Experienced ride-booking injury lawyers understand the legalities involved in ride-hailing accidents. When you’re facing uncertainty, fear, and pain, having an attorney on your side is a relief. Like those at Spear Greenfield, knowledgeable attorneys can answer your questions and completely manage your case for you. As a result, you can concentrate on taking care of yourself and getting better.
Advantages of working with an Uber & Lyft accident lawyer include:
- They handle the insurance companies: Insurance companies have one thing to achieve with your accident. They want to pay you as little as possible to settle the claim. That means they don’t have your best interests at heart. Your Spear Greenfield attorney does. We will interact with the insurance company for you. You get peace of mind knowing you’re not under pressure to accept a lower payout.
- They manage communications with the ride-hailing provider: Accidents with ride-booking drivers may involve more than one insurance company and the attorneys for Uber or Lyft. Your legal representative will handle the communications between all parties so you don’t have to.
- They negotiate for you: Bargaining with corporations can be complex. They have lawyers protecting their interests, and you need one to safeguard yours. Our experienced attorneys have the negotiation skills to capture higher payouts that meet your changing financial needs.
- They present your case to the court when necessary: If good-faith negotiations end without resolution, taking the case to a judge or jury is the next step. When that happens, you want an advocate standing with you. Your Spear Greenfield attorney will present your claim before the court in the best possible light to persuade a better reward.
It’s always best to involve an experienced Lyft and Uber accident attorney at the beginning. They make the process simpler for you by handling the paperwork, documentation, and deadlines based on experience. Learn more about the benefits of Uber accident attorney involvement by clicking the button below.
Causes of Uber or Lyft Accidents
Just like any other motor vehicle accident that occurs in Philadelphia, there is a wide range of reasons that the accident may have taken place. When drivers get behind the wheel, they’re legally obligated to pay attention and drive safely. An Uber or Lyft driver can cause a serious accident if they don’t.
Negligent drivers are one of the primary causes of car accidents countrywide. While this is a significant factor, it can combine with other dangerous actions to make the situation worse. Other risky behaviors that can lead to Uber or Lyft accidents may include:
Texting and driving
Disobeying red lights and traffic signs
Collect contact and insurance information from other parties involved.
Driving after drinking or using drugs
Driving recklessly or speeding
Driving while distracted
Driving while overly tired
Driving in bad weather or conditions with limited visibility
To learn more about the basics of personal injury cases, including a simplified blueprint of the legal process, click on the link below.
In a Lyft, Uber or other rideshare accident, those involved may be affected by multiple types of injuries that could warrant prosecution. Common injuries from these accidents include:
- Lacerations and abrasions
- Sprains, strains, bruises and other soft tissue injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Eye injuries
- Neck or back injuries
- Chest injuries
- Broken bones
- Wrongful death
- Head injuries
- Lost limbs
- Paralysis and spinal cord damage
If you’re unsure about your damages and if they will stand in court, our team can consult with you to help. We’ll evaluate your damages and determine if you have a case and what compensation you may be entitled to receive.
As your rideshare accident attorney, Spear Greenfield will work tirelessly to award you compensation for your or your loved one’s injuries. Understanding that these situations can cause significant emotional and physical trauma, we strive to be a comforting presence throughout the consultation process.
The ridesharing industry has seen exponential growth in the past several years and is projected to continue growing in the next several years. However, research also indicates that traffic accidents related to ridesharing services are also increasing. Consider these key statistics from a University of Chicago study of the correlations between rideshare services and accidents:
- Almost 1,000 car accident deaths per day are related to the increasing number of rideshare vehicles on the roads.
- Between 2017 and 2018 alone, Uber vehicles were involved in 97 fatal accidents, resulting in a total of 107 deaths in that period.
- 21% of victims were riders, and another 21% were drivers. The other 58% of victims were passengers or drivers of third-party vehicles.
After a Rideshare Accident
When you are injured in an accident caused by an Uber, Lyft, or another rideshare driver, it is critical to document everything you can in the direct aftermath of the accident, which starts by reporting the incident to the police. Be sure to keep any communications between you and the driver, such as taking screenshots of any strange messages and company responses. Also, it is important to photograph your injuries and the scene of the accident. Finally, collect contact information and testimonials from all involved parties and witnesses.
Some steps to avoid following an accident include not speaking directly to the rideshare driver, representatives at the rideshare company, or any insurance company. These contacts may not have your best interest prioritized. Also, it is beneficial to avoid posting anything related to the accident on social media, as this may hurt your case.
Available Damages After a Uber or Lyft Accident
When you’ve sustained loss, damages, or injuries in a ride-booking service accident, you deserve compensation. There are multiple benefits you can claim. Working with a personal injury attorney in Philadelphia helps you fully explore options that Pennsylvania law makes insurance companies pay for. These expenses include:
Medical costs for injury treatment
Money to repair or replace your vehicle
Your lost wages from work absences
Other coverage that applies to you or the auto you were in when the collision occurred
To learn more about the legal process and partnering with Spear Greenfield as your Uber or Lyft accident attorneys, click on the link below.
When considering your options for pursuing a legal case, you may have many questions and concerns about the process. We’ve put together some top questions our clients have to help address your considerations.
Do You Need an Attorney to Help You Seek Fair Compensation After an Accident?
Having an attorney is critical to helping you receive fair compensation for the physical and emotional damages an accident causes. The SEPTA system has a range of resources and claims investigators to represent the person or entity at fault, so you’ll need the right expertise to represent your interests.
Can You Be Banned From the App if You Make a Claim Against a Driver?
Many clients worry about the ramifications of bringing a claim against an Uber or Lyft driver. However, when you work with your Lyft or Uber accident lawyer to make a valid claim for damages, you will not receive any penalty. Rideshare companies’ goal is to ensure riders are safe and provide reliable services. They may help to resolve the situation if you are a victim of an accident.
Are Drivers Required to Have Insurance?
Rideshare companies require drivers to have insurance so that you have coverage during your rideshare experience. Additionally, they can provide separate coverage to protect passengers. Your Lyft accident attorneys will work with you and relevant insurance companies to help you find a resolution for your claim.
Do Rideshare Drivers Have Unique Driving Requirements?
While most of us face distractions while driving, rideshare drivers face a unique set of problems. They often travel to unfamiliar areas, which can lead to needless mistakes. They must also listen to and watch their phone for necessary updates. Regardless of these requirements, they must drive safely.
Who Is Liable After a Lyft or Uber Accident?
Anyone who was involved in your accident and may have contributed to your injuries can be liable. However, the responsible parties may not be readily evident, as rideshare companies classify drivers as independent contractors. Different precedents across the court may cause conflict and complications in determining who is responsible.
When you work with a rideshare accident attorney, we can monitor changing laws and decisions on your behalf. We’ll help you determine the best course of action for your specific situation.
You can seek compensation for negligence on the part of several different parties, including:
- The rideshare driver
- A relevant government agency
- The driver of another vehicle involved in the accident
- A pedestrian
- A cyclist
- The operating transit company
- The vehicle manufacturer, who may be responsible for an equipment defect
What Should You Do if the Rideshare Driver or a Company Representative Contacts You?
If you receive any form of contact from an insurance company, the rideshare driver, or a rideshare company representative, do not engage with questions or solicitations. Instead, direct any inquiries to your lawyers to avoid compromising your case.
Why You Should Choose Spear Greenfield
When you partner with Spear Greenfield as your Uber and Lyft accident attorney, you set yourself up for success. You’ll benefit from our:
- Convenience: We live and work in the same communities as you do. You’ll find our offices in locations throughout the area, including Philadelphia, Cherry Hill, and Marlton.
- Experience: The attorneys at Spear Greenfield boast over 200 years of collective experience. As a result, we draw on each other’s knowledge and perspectives for a comprehensive team approach. This practice allows us to build solid claims and achieve the best possible outcomes for our clients.
- Advocacy: Our goal is simple — to protect victims of personal injury accidents in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. We do this by advocating for your rights, no matter the size of your claim. Our experienced team has the legal knowledge and skill to pursue remedies through negotiation and litigation with your best interests at the forefront.
- Respect: We’ve earned the respect of peers, clients, and even corporations as a determined fighter for client rights. Companies throughout the area know who we are and that we don’t give in to pressure tactics. They also know we won’t hesitate to go to bat for our clients to get the biggest payouts.
- Results: Spear Greenfield has an impressive track record of personal injury verdicts and settlements. We’ve secured a nearly $3 million verdict for one car accident victim and collected more than half a billion in total awards.