Making Sense of an Apartment Accident
When renting an apartment or property, residents trust their landlords, who are obligated to care for the apartment. Despite a landlord’s responsibilities, there are negligent landlords and apartment owners, who do not take care of their premises. Negligence can result in harmful conditions that can cause accidents and injuries to the residents living there. If an apartment accident happens due to negligence, the victim has the right to seek financial compensation for damages.
Spear Greenfield has a 30-year track record of representing slip and fall injury victims to ensure their interests are represented. We truly care about protecting personal injury victims, so our law firm offers a free consultation. This appointment will allow us to learn more about your case and educate you on your legal options. The free consultation does not carry any pressure or obligation, just information! Schedule your free consultation either by phone or online form fill by clicking below.
Weighing Your Legal Avenues After an Apartment Accident
To recover the financial compensation you deserve, you must file a personal injury claim, which requires you to prove that you have been injured due to another party’s negligence. In the case of an apartment accident, the case is most likely filed against your landlord. To prove your premises liability claim, you have to gather evidence, some of which an attorney can help obtain. Useful evidence includes medical documents, witness statements, security camera footage, and pictures of the safety hazard that caused your injuries.
Since initiating this legal pursuit can sometimes be complex, the involvement of a personal injury lawyer may be essential. Spear Greenfield has the experience dealing with both simple and more involved personal injury claims. Our law firm has guided clients through the legal process to receive their entitled compensation. Below are some of the initial steps and considerations in the process of filing a claim that link to additional information to get you started.
Causes of Apartment Accidents
Some causes of apartment accidents are listed below.
- Damaged flooring: This includes torn carpeting, loose floorboards, and exposed nails, which can cause some painful or gruesome apartment accidents.
- Unstable balconies: This can lead to severe consequences, especially if a balcony or deck collapses.
- Insufficient lighting: A lack of sufficient lighting in parking lots, walkways, entrances, and exits can hide potential safety hazards, which can cause people to trip or fall, often breaking bones or tearing ligaments.
- Defective smoke alarms: These are essential in case of a fire, so a landlord failing to supply his tenants with working smoke alarms is negligence and can lead to dangerous situations.
- Electrical shocks: If a landlord improperly grounds an electrical socket, this negligence may cause serious burns, electrocutions, or even death.
- Inadequately maintained grounds following inclement weather: Landlords are obligated to remove snow and ice within a reasonable amount of time following a snowstorm. Not removing weather hazards can lead to falls that break bones or cause head injuries.
Determining Liability for Apartment Accident Injuries
To recover the financial compensation you deserve from an apartment accident, you must prove that your injury was caused by another party’s negligence, which in this case, is most likely your landlord. In proving a landlord’s negligence, it is essential to demonstrate the property owner knew or should have reasonably known about the hazard that caused your accident. In proving negligence, evidence is the most effective tool. Some important forms of evidence are listed below.
Pictures or videos
Witnesses at the accident scene
Pictures of the conditions that caused the accident
The second factor mentioned above, proving the landlord’s duty of knowing a hazard exists, is critical. The complexity of a case might dictate whether attorney involvement is necessary, but even in more straightforward accident cases, the involvement of a personal injury attorney is an advantage. Partnering with a lawyer ensures you receive the best compensation. Click on the link below to learn more about the factors signaling the need to involve a lawyer in your apartment accident claim.
What Damages Are Available After an Apartment Accident?
Your Spear Greenfield personal injury attorney can help you pursue the following types of apartment accident compensation:
- Economic: These damages encompass payments for lost wages and medical bills resulting from your accident.
- Noneconomic: Too often, the effects of these accidents extend beyond financial losses. You could receive additional compensation for pain and suffering, emotional anguish, and a reduction in the enjoyment you receive from day-to-day activities.
We have access to an extensive network of health care professionals to ensure you receive the excellent medical care and treatment you deserve. These experienced professionals will document the severity of your injuries, ensuring our attorneys have the information they need to prepare a compelling case on your behalf.
Examples of the types of slip-and-fall injuries apartment dwellers are most likely to suffer include:
Soft Tissue Injuries
Brain Injury or Head Trauma
Lacerations and Abrasions
Spinal Cord Injuries
Regardless of the nature of your apartment accident injury, the Spear Greenfield team can help you attain the best outcome for your unique situation. We believe in holding negligent landlords and building owners responsible for their actions. With us, you will partner with an experienced legal advocate who always has your best interests in mind.
What Makes Us Different From Other Apartment Accident Law Firms?
An apartment accident can have lingering economic, physical, and emotional consequences. Choosing a law firm with extensive experience and a successful track record in getting results in these cases is paramount.
At Spear Greenfield, we’ve been handling these complex legal situations for more than three decades. Our attorneys bring more than 200 combined years of expertise to every case, ensuring you will receive the competent representation you deserve.
Other reasons to choose us include:
- We will fight for your rights: We’ve earned over half a billion dollars in settlements and judgments over the years. Our goal is to help you receive the largest monetary reward.
- We can elevate your status: Whether the better course of action is seeking a settlement with the insurance company or going to trial, you will benefit from our firm’s stellar reputation. Insurers refrain from their usual lowball tactics when negotiating with us, paving the way for a larger financial settlement. We are also no strangers to the inside of a courtroom. Our legal prowess increases the likelihood of a favorable jury verdict.
- We take a client-centered approach: At Spear Greenfield, we understand the challenges resulting from your accident and how they impact every aspect of your life. We consider every client a part of our extended family. We will do everything possible to reduce the stress and alleviate your burden during this difficult time.