When people go shopping at their local mall, they rarely ever consider the idea that they could be involved in a serious accident. However, it is possible for a person to become injured anywhere in the event that the property is not correctly taken care of by those whose job it is to do so. In the event that the grounds of a retail store are hazardous due to negligence, shoppers can sustain life-impacting injuries as a result. If they do, it is important to contact an experienced Pennsylvania personal injury attorney as soon as possible to build a case against the negligent party and recover compensation.
How Can a Retail Store Accident Happen?
There are many different ways that a retail store accident can occur in Pennsylvania. Similar to other personal injury accidents, they are often a result of the negligence of another party. For example, common hazards that are found in retail stores can include poor security, poor lighting, uneven walkways, spilled liquids, merchandise falling from shelves, and more.
What Action Should I Take After a Retail Store Accident?
One of the most important things to do after any kind of accident occurs is to stay calm. This ensures that you are able to take the necessary steps that can increase your chances of winning a claim. This includes the following:
- Call the necessary emergency services to receive police assistance and medical attention
- Ask any witnesses to the accident their phone number or email address so they can corroborate your claim later on
- Notify the store owner so that an incident report can be filed and you may receive any surveillance footage of the accident.
- Ask your doctor for all documentation regarding your injuries
- Hire an experienced Pennsylvania personal injury attorney to effectively gather and present all the evidence needed to recover the compensation you deserve
- After the claim is filed, stay away from social media as much as possible to avoid posting anything that can potentially harm your claim.
What is the Statute of Limitations?
When an injured party wants to pursue legal action after a retail store accident, they are required to do so within the statute of limitations. This means that they have a deadline by which they can file a claim. In the state of Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations for personal injury accidents is two years from the date of the injury. Failure to meet this deadline can result in losing the opportunity to file a claim and recover compensation entirely.
Contact our Firm
If you or a loved one has been in a personal injury accident in Pennsylvania, it’s important that you contact an experienced Philadelphia personal injury attorney to help you with your case and to make sure that you are not taken advantage of. Contact Spear Greenfield to get the right attorney in your corner.