Whether caused by a car accident, a fall, or by a defective product, the injuries sustained in an accident bring physical pain, emotional trauma, and significant financial distress. Medical bills, property loss, and missed wages take a major financial toll, increasing stress that can further slow your recovery.
A personal injury settlement can relieve your financial distress and help move you toward a more complete recovery. A Burlington, NJ personal injury lawyer from Rand Spear will work to get you fair and substantial compensation. For the best outcome, partner with a lawyer from the Spear Greenfield team as soon as possible after your accident.
How a Personal Injury Settlement Can Help You
The consequences of injuries suffered because of someone else’s negligence can be moderate to severe and temporary or permanent. Whatever the situation, they will affect your overall well-being. A fair settlement can help you through the recovery process, get you justice, and stabilize your financial future.
Though every personal injury case is different, Rand Spear and the team at Spear Greenfield will pursue fair compensation aggressively. In most cases, this compensation includes:
- Coverage for medical costs, including future costs should your injuries require ongoing care
- Recovery of lost wages from time missed at work. If your injuries prevent you from returning to work long-term, a settlement can recover lost future earnings and benefits.
- Recovery for the value of property damaged in your accident
- Acknowledgment of your physical pain, emotional distress, and reduced quality of life
Unlike compensatory damages, which restore your losses, punitive damages are meant to “send a message.” At-fault parties who must pay punitive damages are being punished for especially egregious behavior. Punitive damages are also designed to send a message to potential offenders, deterring them from committing similar acts.
It is not easy to get punitive damages in New Jersey. The state has strict laws for assigning them. Victims must prove “with clear and convincing evidence” that the defendant:
- Acted with malicious intent, or
- In willful and wanton disregard of the victim’s safety, and
- The maliciousness or disregard caused the victim’s injuries
However, if you deserve them, your Burlington NJ personal injury attorney will fight to have them added to your settlement. The amount you can receive for punitive damages is $350,000 or five times your compensatory damages, whichever amount is greater.
A Burlington NJ Personal Injury Lawyer Will Fight for the Settlement You Need and Deserve
Rand Spear knows how critical a fair settlement is to your recovery and the security of your financial future. You can trust that your personal injury attorney in Burlington, NJ will fight for a settlement to meet your needs.
While you focus on healing, your attorney will work your case by:
- Carefully investigating your accident to determine its cause and identify the at-fault party
- Filing a personal injury claim on your behalf within New Jersey’s two-year statute of limitations
- Gathering comprehensive evidence to prove the at-fault party’s negligence caused your injury and justify your settlement demand
- Handling all communication and negotiation with the at-fault party’s representatives, standing firm in demand for a fair and substantial settlement
- Taking your case to court should the at-fault party refuse to make an acceptable offer and a trial is in your best interests.
Why You Need a Skilled Negotiator Representing You
Too often, accident victims trust insurance companies to do right by them. Unfortunately, that trust is misplaced. Insurance companies are out to protect their own bottom lines, and they do that by paying out as little as possible to deserving victims.
To protect themselves, insurance companies resort to intimidation or manipulative tactics to coerce victims into accepting unfair blame for an accident and ultimately taking an offer far lower than what they need or deserve.
When you have a personal injury lawyer in Burlington, NJ handling all communication with the insurance company, you protect yourself from these tactics and your settlement from unwarranted reductions. Your attorney will not be taken in by the insurance company’s tricks or accept lowball compensation offers.
Burlington Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me (215) 985-2424
How Personal Injury Laws in New Jersey Affect Your Compensation
In New Jersey, personal injury cases follow a modified comparative fault system. Under this system:
- Accident victims can only file against an at-fault party if the victims themselves hold less than 50% of the blame for the accident.
- Accident victims eligible to file will have their compensation reduced by a percentage equal to their percentage of fault.
For example, if you experience a rear-end car accident, but one of your brake lights was out, you may be assigned some fault for the incident. If the court determines you hold 20% of the blame, you will receive 80% (20% less) of the total calculated settlement.
Remember, insurance companies will look to inflate your level of blame, even misrepresenting details of the accident to achieve this goal. Put your case in the hands of an experienced Burlington, NJ personal injury attorney who will not let these false accusations stand.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
Any type of accident can prompt a personal injury case, but most fall into certain categories.
- Motor-vehicle accidents, whether you are a vehicle occupant or a pedestrian
- Product liability cases, when using a defective product, or a product without appropriate instructions or warnings, cause you harm
- Premises liability cases, when you are hurt on someone else’s property. Property owners must keep their premises free of hazards to protect the safety of invited guests and customers
- Medical malpractice, such as when you are hurt by a medical professional’s negligence or improper care
- Dog bites. New Jersey follows strict liability laws for dog bites, which means owners are responsible when their dogs bite or harm someone, even as a “first offense”
Wrongful Death Cases
If your loved one dies from an accident, your Burlington, NJ personal injury attorney can file a wrongful death claim. A settlement can cover related medical costs, death expenses, lost income, and loss of affection and relationship.
Do Not Settle for Less: Demand Rand
When you have been hurt by someone else’s negligence, you deserve the maximum settlement. Rand Spear and the team at Spear Greenfield have been fighting for accident victims for 30 years and have secured over $750 million for our clients. Contact us today and schedule a free consultation with a knowledgeable Burlington, NJ personal injury lawyer. We are ready to fight for you.