There are a number of benefits to walking to your destination, including cost, convenience, and health. However, as traffic in the city increases, so do your risks. Pedestrians are more likely to face injury or even death because they are among the most vulnerable individuals who travel. Negligent drivers often overlook pedestrians, which can lead to devastating outcomes, including injuries, medical expenses, and emotional trauma.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, it is essential to have an experienced Trenton pedestrian accident attorney like RAND SPEAR THE ACCIDENT LAWYER on your side to fight for your rights as a victim. A Trenton personal injury lawyer can help you file a claim against the negligent parties who caused your injuries and will fight for the compensation you deserve.
Risk Factors for Pedestrian Accidents
With an increase of distracted drivers on the roads, your chances of becoming a pedestrian accident victim also increase. As a pedestrian accident victim, you will likely suffer from serious injuries and costly medical bills. Pedestrian accident victims even risk death. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), over 30% of all New Jersey traffic fatalities are pedestrian fatalities.
The risk factors for pedestrian accidents include:
- Age: Children and the elderly are more likely to be victims of pedestrian accidents.
- Alcohol Use: Nearly half of all traffic accidents that result in pedestrian fatalities involve alcohol.
- Carelessness: Disobeying traffic signals and not looking carefully before backing up or turning can lead to pedestrian accidents.
- Impatience: Pedestrians usually have the right of way, but sometimes drivers do not have the patience to wait for them to get completely out of the roadway before proceeding.
- Poor Visibility: Rain, snow, and fog can make it difficult for drivers to see pedestrians.
- Speed: Increased speed usually results in more serious injuries to pedestrians.
- Technology Use: The use of phones or changing a radio station distracts drivers from pedestrians who share the roadways.
- Time of Day: Pedestrian accidents are more likely to occur when it is dark.
Regardless of how a pedestrian accident occurs or who is at fault, it is important to know your rights as a victim. A pedestrian accident lawyer in Trenton can help determine the cause and identify the responsible parties in your accident. It is essential that you DEMAND RAND as soon as possible after your accident so the firm can begin building your pedestrian accident case.
What You Should Do After a Pedestrian Accident
To build a strong pedestrian accident case, it is important to take certain steps after your accident in order to collect key evidence. If you are medically able, you should take the following steps:
- Take photos and videos of the accident scene: Taking photos and videos can memorialize the conditions of the scene at the time of your accident.
- Get contact information for individuals who may have witnessed the accident: If someone saw your accident, he or she can be called as a witness in a lawsuit to explain how the accident appeared to have occurred.
- Call the police and request an accident report even if the driver leaves the scene: It is important to have a record of your accident.
- Seek medical support even if you do not think you are severely injured: Sometimes, you can suffer from injuries that are not visible. Also, your increased adrenaline at the time of the accident may mask the pain from injuries.
- Take photos of your injuries: Photos of your injuries help provide proof of your damages and can help with monetary recovery.
- Record what you remember about your accident: Sometimes, lawsuits can take years to resolve, making it difficult to recall the details of exactly what happened during your accident.
- Keep a record of your doctors’ visits: Noting your visits to doctors helps track your medical expenses and other expenses, such as transportation costs incurred for medical care.
- Journal your mental state and how you feel physically: Having a record of your emotional and physical suffering makes it easier to demonstrate the non-economic losses you have as a result of your accident.
- Contact a Trenton pedestrian accident lawyer: Contacting Rand Spear as soon as possible after your pedestrian accident will ensure a thorough investigation of the accident is conducted and that all potential sources of recovery are identified.
Attorney Rand Spear will also speak to any insurance companies that are requesting statements regarding your accident so they cannot manipulate you during one of your most vulnerable moments.
Trenton Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me (215) 985-2424
Proving Fault in Pedestrian Accidents
Establishing liability in your accident case is vital to obtaining any compensation. Sometimes, proving fault is not as clear-cut as it seems. This is why it is important to hire a professional pedestrian accident attorney in Trenton like Rand Spear. He will gather evidence and conduct a thorough investigation into your accident to determine all parties who may be at fault.
Even if you are partly to blame for your pedestrian accident, you may still be entitled to recover damages. Drivers are always responsible for watching out for pedestrians and are not often completely blameless in pedestrian accidents. In a situation where you may be the party at fault for your pedestrian accident, the court may simply reduce the amount of your award. In New Jersey, as long as you are less at fault than the driver, you may still be able to receive compensation for your injuries and losses as a pedestrian accident victim.
A skilled attorney will be able to investigate your accident and help determine liability. This is why it is important that you DEMAND RAND as soon as possible after your accident.
Work with a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Trenton
Consulting with an experienced Trenton pedestrian accident attorney should be one of the first steps you take after your accident. Collecting key evidence and proving liability in your accident can be complicated. Rand Spear can help you through every step of the complex legal process to assist you in receiving compensation for the economic and non-economic injuries you received as a result of your pedestrian accident.
Contact RAND SPEAR THE ACCIDENT LAWYER today for a free consultation.