When riding a bike, it is crucial to act safely. This is important because bikes offer little to no safety for their riders, which is why the outcome of these accidents can be devastating. Bikers can assist themselves while out for a ride by paying attention to their surroundings and implementing the proper safety measures. Due to the fact that May is National Bicycle Safety Month, our experienced Pennsylvania law firm compiled a list of safety tips that can come in handy:
- Ensure the bike is ready to be ridden before taking it out. If a bike is not tended to, it can have certain issues that can jam up the working parts, causing it not to ride properly. It is important to be sure that a bike is in good condition, check the brakes, fill the tires to the correct air pressure, and more.
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic. In addition to this, bikers should also use the right hand signals to inform motor vehicles of their actions, keeping an accident from happening.
- Always wear a helmet. Helmets exist to help save the life of bike riders. While any helmet will do, it is best to use one that meets the standards set by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC).
- Obey all rules and regulations of the road. This includes abiding by traffic signs, traffic lights lights, not riding under the influence, and much more.
- Make yourself visible. Wearing bright colors allows you to be seen by other motorists. If you are riding at night, use reflective gear so you can be seen in the dark.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. There are many different ways an accident can happen. However, as a rider, it is your job to do everything you can to prevent them. This includes paying attention to your surroundings at all times.
While these are all good tips that can help you stay safe while riding a bike, accidents can happen even if you implement every single one of them. If you are involved in a bike accident due to negligence, you may be able to recover financial compensation for damages. When pursuing legal action, it is important to retain the services of an experienced Pennsylvania personal injury attorney for help.
Contact our Firm
If you or a loved one has been in a personal injury accident in Pennsylvania, it’s important that you contact an experienced Philadelphia personal injury attorney to help you with your case and to make sure that you are not taken advantage of. Contact Spear Greenfield to get the right attorney in your corner.