Making Sense of a DUI Accident
Even though it is illegal to drink and drive in all states, the law is still violated frequently. This illegal and reckless action endangers others on the road and could lead to serious injuries or death. DUI accidents often result in detrimental physical, emotional, and financial damages, which allows injured parties to hold the negligent party responsible for the trauma caused by their drinking and driving. During this time, it is important to engage in discussions to explore the legal options with an experienced personal injury attorney.
For over 30 years, Spear Greenfield has helped a vast amount of clients with their auto accidents. We understand the devastation caused by an unexpected DUI accident, which is why we provide a no-fee initial consultation. This appointment will carry no pressures or obligations — we seek to inform and educate. We can schedule your free consultation by phone or through our online form, so please click below!
Weigh All Your Legal Options Following a DUI Auto Accident
All drivers are required to follow the rules of the road and one of those is to practice unimpaired driving. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is considered negligent driving, which can result in the impaired driver being held responsible for the accident and injuries via a personal injury lawsuit. In order for the lawsuit to be successful, the injured party is required to prove negligence, which can be accomplished by gathering evidence that proves two main factors.
- The driver disregarded the law by driving under the influence.
- The illegal behavior directly caused injured parties damages.
Proving negligence is complex, but the expertise and experience of a personal injury attorney can help. The vehicle accident lawyers at Spear Greenfield have a combined 200 years of experience in handling cases and are dedicated to helping the clients that reach out during their time of need. Below are the initial steps when considering your legal actions following a DUI accident.
Determining Liability and Attorney Involvement
Since impairment increases the chance of an accident, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is considered negligent driving. When a personal injury lawsuit is filed, negligence must be proven in order to be successful. Proof of negligence requires proving the driver disregarded the law by driving under the influence. If that negligent behavior directly caused the injured party’s injuries, proof of negligence is present. Below is a list of evidence, which can be used to prove negligence.
Pictures of the accident scene
Video footage of the accident
Medical documentation of the injuries
Police reports filed from the accident scene
When an auto accident is the result of a DUI, a personal injury attorney should always be consulted. It is also a good idea to involve a lawyer in an auto accident due a complicated and tedious evidence gathering process. A lawyer can efficiently gather and present all additional evidence necessary to prove negligence. Outside of the two above mentioned factors, there are several other factors that point to the necessity of involving a personal injury attorney in your case. To learn more about these factors for involving a lawyer, click on the link below.
Additional Negligence in DUI Liability
Dram shop laws are meant to safeguard drunk driving accident victims. These laws hold alcohol-serving establishments liable for serving alcohol to a visibly intoxicated driver who then causes an auto accident. Places with liquor licenses, such as bars or restaurants, must recognize intoxication symptoms, which should inform them to stop serving an individual. Common signs are:
Difficulty finishing sentences
Impaired motor skills
If an establishment continues serving alcohol to an intoxicated driver, it can face the responsibility for any injuries, accidents, or deaths caused in these situations:
- An establishment employee serves alcohol to a visibly intoxicated individual.
- Serving the intoxicated individual directly facilitates injuries and damages.
Social host laws hold social event hosts responsible if a minor at the event consumes alcohol and then causes a car accident. These laws still apply if the host is unaware that minors were taking in alcohol at their gathering. These laws can apply in the following situations:
- A minor consumes alcohol at your event and is injured or killed in an auto accident.
- A minor consumes alcohol at your event and injures or kills someone else in an auto accident.
The moment you learn an accident was caused by a DUI incident, it is important to consult with a personal injury attorney. There may be multiple layers of negligence, and DUI accidents usually cause substantial damages for the injured party. Our experienced team at Spear Greenfield is dedicated to identifying all negligent parties that caused your accident and to earn you the maximum amount of compensation for your damages! In our more than three decades of business, Spear Greenfield has supported countless individuals impacted by DUI accidents.
Why Choose Spear Greenfield?
At Spear Greenfield, we make our clients’ needs our top priority. We’re a family-owned personal injury law firm that understands the impact a DUI accident can have on you and your loved ones. When you partner with us, you’ll receive the caring, compassionate legal representation you deserve.
No case is too big or small for our dedicated team of DUI injury attorneys. We often accept cases that other PA or NJ lawyers turn down. Regardless of your situation, we will work tirelessly to attain a favorable outcome, whether negotiating a settlement with an insurance company or going to trial is the better course of legal action.
Other reasons to choose Spear Greenfield as your DUI liability attorney include the following:
- The extra mile: We will allocate every available resource, including our attorneys’ time, to achieve a favorable outcome for your case. Our experience dealing with insurance companies will prove invaluable in settlement and trial scenarios. Many law firms in PA and NJ refer cases that involve filing lawsuits to us because they know we can attain the highest compensation for their clients.
- Our unparalleled network of medical contacts: When you suffer an accident-related injury, receiving high-quality medical treatment is essential. Spear Greenfield maintains relationships with leading physicians and a wide range of medical specialists who will deliver the top-notch care you deserve. We can even find viable options for our clients who do not have access to health insurance.
- Our proven record of getting results: We have an impressive history of achieving favorable outcomes for our clients, spanning more than three decades. We have earned more than $500 billion in compensation via settlements and court-awarded payouts. You are in excellent hands when selecting Spear Greenfield as your DUI attorney.
Learn more about what sets Spear Greenfield Personal Injury Attorneys apart from the other DUI law firms in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.