PA & NJ Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
A motorcycle is a dangerous mode of transportation, which often leaves the driver vulnerable. A motorcycle accident can have devastating impacts on a person’s life, often causing life-changing injuries and sometimes even death. Damages from a motorcycle crash can be substantial, which makes it critical to analyze all possible legal options following the accident.
Due to the substantial injuries and damages that can be sustained in a motorcycle accident, legal consultation is critical. Click below to set up a free consultation with a Spear Greenfield team member by phone call or online form submission. This consultation will enable us to explore your accident and determine your legal options. This appointment offers no unnecessary pressure, commitment, or stress, just information and insight!
Review All Available Legal Options Following a Motorcycle Crash
It is no secret that motorcyclists are required to follow all of the same rules of the road as every other motor vehicle. Just like car accidents, one of the biggest causes of motorcycle accidents is driver negligence. When a motorist is acting negligently and is not meeting their duty of care, they may cause a serious accident.
The Pennsylvania and New Jersey motorcycle accident attorneys at Spear Greenfield have experience and a success rate in proving that negligence caused a motorcycle crash. We will guide you through the legal process to hold the negligent party accountable and win the compensation you deserve. Navigate the initial steps in the legal process by checking out additional information linked below.
The Process of Determining Liability in a Motorcycle Accident
A personal injury lawsuit seeks to hold a negligent party responsible for their actions. The injured party must prove this negligence by satisfying the burden of proof. One of the most important things you can do when trying to prove another party’s negligence is obtaining some sort of physical evidence. The benefit of hiring a Pennsylvania or New Jersey motorcycle accident attorney is their experience and ability to gather evidence that shows the driver’s behavior directly caused your accident and injuries.
Some evidence collection that can help prove negligence are listed below:
- Collect photographs or video either depicting the accident from a dashboard camera or taken after the incident by a cell phone, showing the accident scene and damage to the vehicles involved.
- Contact law enforcement immediately after the accident, so they can document the accident scene and file a police report.
- Seek immediate medical attention following an accident, so a medical professional can identify and treat your injuries, while also providing you with medical documents for the sustained injuries.
- Collect contact information from witnesses that saw the accident to provide testimonials.
Motorcycle Accident Causes
Poor road designs, hazardous weather conditions, and faulty parts are all causes of motorcycle accidents. The most common cause of an accident is negligence which makes these motorcycle accidents tragic. Here is a list of negligent behavior that causes motorcycle crashes:
Smoking while driving
Texting while driving
Using a GPS or otherwise navigation directions while driving
Failing to comply with traffic signs or lights
Immediately following a motorcycle accident, it is critical to follow our post accident checklist if possible. This allows you to start collecting information and evidence, which can help you in your motorcycle accident injury claim.
Motorcycle Helmet Laws
In Pennsylvania, motorcycle drivers who are over the age of 21 and have had their license for two years or completed the motorcycle rider safety course are not required by law to wear a helmet when riding. Passengers who are over 21 are also permitted to ride without a helmet unless the driver is. Passengers who have their learner’s permit are required to wear a helmet, regardless of their age. All drivers and passengers who are under 21 years of age are required to wear a helmet. All drivers must wear eye protection when riding.
The motorcycle helmet laws in New Jersey are very clear: they state that all those who ride a motorcycle are required to wear a helmet that complies with the rules set out by New Jersey’s Director of Motor Vehicles at all times. If you ride a motorcycle, you must also wear goggles/protective eyewear, and the helmet must be reflectorized on both sides.
Get a comprehensive blueprint of the legal process by exploring the basics of personal injury cases.
Available Damages After A Motorcycle Accident
If you decide to sue a negligent party, you could receive a payout for your injuries. Your motorcycle accident attorney will need to prove the other driver is responsible for the incident.
Examples of the areas for which you could receive compensation include:
Physical and emotional impact of your injuries
Reduction in the pleasure you attain from normal life activities
Costs associated with medical treatment
Expenses related to rehabilitation from your injuries
Loss of present and future earnings
Burial expenses if the injuries result in your death
Your Spear Greenfield attorney will serve as your trusted adviser throughout the process. We will start by setting up a free consultation to learn more about your situation and develop a targeted legal strategy. We will explain all your available options and make informed recommendations regarding the most viable path forward. You can make your decision without pressure — we will always act in your best interests.
Types of Motorcycle Accident Compensation
Your Spear Greenfield motorcycle accident attorney will help you pursue the types of compensation that apply to your claim:
- Lost wages: If your injuries prevent you from working, we can assist you in recovering current and future wages or business profits.
- Medical expenses: An accident could leave you with various unpaid hospital and doctor bills and related expenses. Your motorcycle accident lawyer can pursue reimbursement from the insurance companies for these often prohibitive costs.
- Property damage: Has the accident severely damaged or destroyed your motorcycle and other property? You can recover the cost of repairing or replacing these items with accident compensation.
- Pain and suffering: Your accident and injuries can result in significant physical and emotional distress. You may be entitled to compensation for the trauma you experience.
- Punitive damages: If the other driver’s actions were exceedingly reckless or negligent, you might be entitled to additional compensation beyond the damages for your suffering.
- Funeral/burial expenses: Motorcycle accidents often result in fatalities. Survivors can receive compensation to cover the funeral and related expenses.
Your attorney will assess the viability of a motorcycle accident injury claim in each area and recommend the most appropriate legal remedy.
Why Choose Us as Your Motorcycle Accident Law Firm?
Our team has extensive experience representing motorcyclists in accident cases. We understand that the injuries riders sustain can be devastating and life-altering. In addition to the debilitating medical issues, these crashes can have significant long-term financial ramifications, and the emotional trauma can last for years.
We know how to investigate motorcycle accidents and recognize the telltale signs of the other driver’s negligence. Our team will gather all the essential information, including medical records, police reports, and eyewitness accounts, and use this data to meet the burden of proof these cases require.
Specific reasons to choose our law firm include:
- Attentive service: We understand that legal matters are complicated and confusing. Our attorneys will take the time to answer your questions and address your concerns. We will always treat you with dignity and respect throughout the process.
- Professional team: Our lawyers pay close attention to every detail. Experience has taught us that minor, seemingly insignificant facts often hold the key to a case. We never stop digging until we have turned over every stone.
- Stellar reputation: Spear Greenfield Personal Injury Attorneys has been helping people just like you for more than 30 years. We have earned the trust of accident victims and their families during the most challenging life circumstances.