Slip & fall accidents are a leading cause of injuries that can cause lifelong physical disabilities, according to Philadelphia’s accident lawyer Rand Spear.
Slip and fall accidents cause more injuries than even motor vehicle accidents, reports Rand Spear, Philadelphia’s accident lawyer, who spoke on a recent podcast on the topic. He represents those in Pennsylvania and New Jersey who are injured in slip and fall accidents.
- The National Flooring Safety Institute estimates that falls account for more than eight million emergency room visits in the U.S. each year.
- Fractured bones are a serious consequence of falls and more than 5% of those who fall suffer broken bones.
- Hip fractures are the most serious type of broken bone injury due to a fall. They lead to the greatest number of health problems and deaths. Older people are especially vulnerable to a hip fracture caused by a fall.
- 85% of Workers’ Compensation claims are caused by employees slipping on the job.
Spear says many people are able to walk away from vehicle accidents but many are injured in slip and fall accidents. “Oftentimes the injuries are much more severe and that really is common sense. When you’re in a motor vehicle you’ve got his big metal object around you to protect you. You’re in a padded seat and you have a seat belt. But with a slip and fall accident there’s really nothing to shield you, nothing to protect you,” he says, “These are very serious accidents that have long-term lifelong consequences so you really have to be very careful if you are involved in any type of slip and fall accident.”
There could be many parties who may be held legally responsible for the injuries and harm done due to a slip and fall injury, depending on the facts of the accident, according to Spear. It could be,
- The landowner,
- A tenant whose lease states they are responsible for maintaining the property, or
- If the cause was ice, snow or a cracked sidewalk, it may be a maintenance or landscaping company responsible because they failed to remove snow or ice or keep the area safe.
The facts of the accident are key to whether a legal claim may be successful or not. Spear says if necessary a staff member may take photos of the area where the slip and fall accident happened. The accident victim or someone with the person could take photos at the time of the accident using a smartphone if necessary. They may show important evidence as to the condition of the area and if it was unsafe. If the condition was slippery due to the weather it’s important to gather evidence as soon as possible so that your accident lawyer has as much ammunition as possible to prosecute your case.
While gathering evidence is important Spear says, “Number one the most important thing is to get immediate medical attention if you really are injured. Get yourself checked out. You need to make sure everything’s OK and you’re in good shape. After that the next most important thing you want to do is to call an accident lawyer and tell them what happened.”
Spear offers a free consultation for those injured in slip and fall accidents. There’s no charge to discuss the facts and you can find out what’s involved with the legal process and what you need to do. “If you have photographs and witnesses someone from our office can really jump on the case and get a head start in order to fully represent you to the fullest extent of the law,” Spear says.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident in Pennsylvania or New Jersey contact Rand Spear for a free consultation. You will be able to discuss the accident, learn about the applicable laws and your best options for obtaining compensation for your injuries and damages. Call 888-373-4LAW immediately to schedule your free consultation.