Individuals who receive a driver’s license are trusted to operate their vehicles safely. Failure to do so can lead to accidents that can cause serious harm or even death to those who are involved. If you were involved in a serious car accident, it is important to know what steps you should take afterward. Continue reading below to learn more and contact an experienced Pennsylvania personal injury attorney if you were involved in an accident.
What do I do After a Car Accident?
The aftermath of a car accident is often overwhelming. It is important to stay calm so that you can handle the situation with a clear head. The following are crucial steps to follow during this time:
- Call the police, even if the other party involved tells you otherwise. They police can keep the scene safe, draft an official police report, take witness statements, and conduct necessary chemical tests.
- Do not apologize. While apologizing can be seen as the right thing to do, it is important to avoid doing so. This is because it can be seen as an admission of fault for the incident. Instead, simply be polite and contact the proper emergency services.
- Take pictures or video of the scene. This includes broken glass, deployed airbags, skid marks, and bloodstains that occurred during the accident. Poor weather or road conditions should also be documented.
- Record important information. Obtain witness contact information and the registration information of all vehicles involved in the accident.
- Seek immediate medical attention. Even if you do not feel injured, it is possible for injuries to show up later on. That is why medical attention should be sought immediately from a doctor to receive an official diagnosis.
Pursuing Legal Action
In order to receive compensation for the damages incurred in a car accident, injured parties must file a personal injury claim. During this time, they can work to hold the negligent driver liable for the accident with the evidence that was gathered from the scene. If they are successful, the negligent driver may owe compensation.
Contact our Firm
If you or a loved one has been in a personal injury accident in Pennsylvania, it’s important that you contact an experienced Philadelphia personal injury attorney to help you with your case and to make sure that you are not taken advantage of. Contact Spear Greenfield to get the right attorney in your corner.