Victims of Police Misconduct Can Get Compensation

line of police in riot gear
August 13, 2017
Legally Reviewed By Attorney Rand Spear, Esq.

Police officers are supposed to protect and serve the public. Unfortunately, news headlines and viral videos often reveal police abusing their power. When the police overstep their authority, people can get hurt or even killed.

Individuals who have been injured by the police have the right to receive compensation for their injuries. In tragic cases where police misconduct leads to a person’s death, the individual’s family members can pursue a wrongful death claim against the officer and usually the police department and possibly the local government. These are complicated cases, however, and victims of police misconduct should work with an experienced personal injury lawyer to protect their rights.

Man Receives $110,000 for Wrongful Tasering

In July 2017, a Colorado man received a $110,000 settlement from the City of Aurora, Colorado after police officers tased him in the back. Video of the incident shows the man asking police, “What are we being detained for?” The man also told police, “Answer my question, officer! I know my rights.”

In response, police officers fired a taser gun into the man’s back. The video shows the man dropping to the ground and writhing in pain. The ACLU of Colorado negotiated a settlement on the man’s behalf. Media reports state that the man was stopped by police who were looking for a suspect who pulled a gun on a child. The man the police stopped and tasered was not the suspect. After police tased him, they charged him with a misdemeanor charge of failing to obey lawful orders. That charge was eventually dropped.

What to Do If Police Abuse Their Authority

It’s terrifying to think that you could be walking down the street or driving, minding your own business, and be unlawfully detained by the police. It’s even more terrifying to think that you could be assaulted and physically harmed by police officers when you’ve done nothing wrong.

If you believe you have been the victim of police misconduct, it’s important to take action quickly. When you sue a public entity, such as a city government, you must often provide the public entity with an official notice that you intend to sue. In many jurisdictions, the deadline for filing this notice is quite short. If you wait too long, you could miss your opportunity to pursue justice for your injury.

Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer Discusses Compensation for Police Misconduct

Philadelphia personal injury lawyer Rand Spear explains, “The majority of police officers are hard-working people who take their jobs and responsibilities seriously. Unfortunately, it only takes one negligent officer to cause a serious injury or death. It’s important for victims of police misconduct to come forward and tell their story.”

Contact a Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer Today

If you or a loved one has been injured by police officers or any government employee, protect your rights by working with an experienced personal injury lawyer. Contact Philadelphia and New Jersey personal injury lawyer Rand Spear today at 877-GET-RAND.